Berney Arms Windmill is located alongside the River Yare in an isolated spot. The best approach for the visitor is by river or via the nearby railway station at Berney Arms.
The windmill was built in 1865 and used to grind cement clinker, using clay dredged from Oulton Broad and brought to the mill by wherry. Cement production closed down in 1880 and in 1883 the windmill was converted to work the drainage scoop to drain the surrounding marshland. The long period of restoration began in 1951.